Tuesday, December 28, 2010

BREAKFAST AT IHOP

IHOP, located on the corner of McCarthy and Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevards in New Bern, is a popular destination for pancake lovers.  Their breakfast menu is impressive, with a list of pancakes, waffles, omelets, crepes, egg dishes and combos.
Beverages are a bit pricey, but breakfast items are competitively priced.

Hubby Guy ordered the 2x2x2 -- 2 eggs, 2 pancakes, 2 bacon strips.  At $6.59, it was reasonably priced.

Not much of a breakfast eater, I ordered 1 poached egg and 1 slice of toast.  It wasn't on the menu.  In fact the menu didn't mention eggs by themselves, and there was no ala carte mentioned like they do at Cracker Barrel and some other restaurants.  Is IHOP geared to big eaters, or are they just trying to push the bigger items?  Our server was very pleasant and accommodating, and said there would be no trouble with just 1 egg and 1 slice of toast.  We ordered coffee to have something to sip while we waited.  The coffee was just barely warm in the carafe.

My breakfast arrived, and it contained 1 slice of toast and 2 poached eggs.  The server assured me I would only be charged for 1 egg, but then why were two brought to the table?  Someone has to absorb the loss of one egg and it will show up as higher prices sometime down the road.  My rye toast and egg were good and I was impressed that I could order a poached egg at all -- just try doing that in some of the other breakfast locations.  Guy's pancakes were lukewarm at best, but he loved his eggs and bacon.

IHOP makes great eggs and I love that their food is not greasy.  If they could just get the food to the table hot....  I've heard from others that they consistently serve lukewarm food.

I'm still searching for New Bern's best breakfast place.  In the meantime, I saw my hubby clipping an IHOP coupon out of the newspaper.  I asked him why, since he had been unhappy with his cold pancakes.  "The eggs are good there," was his reply.

IHOP opens Sunday through Thursday at 6AM.  Friday and Saturday they are open 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you leave me a comment, I feel all warm and fuzzy, like someone out there is really listening.

Bookmark and Share