Friday, May 6, 2011

BIG APPLE PIZZA


Being from the Northeast, I'm always on the lookout for a good New York-style pizza.  The crust has to be thin and crispy, the sauce has to have good homemade flavor, and there should be some oregano and/or basil for added flavor.  A pizza that fits this description is hard to find in the Southeast, but we did find it at Luigi's Pizza in Morehead City.

Big Apple Pizza, by its name, implies that it serves New York-style pizza, but I didn't find it to be.  The pizza we ordered from the Twin Rivers Mall location came with a tough, rubbery, partly soggy crust and flavorless yet oversalted sauce.  I called the manager, who told me he has lots of satisfied customers, he's from New York, and he learned to make pizza from -- guess who -- Luigi.  He offered to give me another pizza, made properly.  The problem here is that he is the one who made the pizza in the first place.

I'm not sure what went wrong because the manager insists that his crust is crispy and his sauce is homemade.  He also said he uses the same suppliers that Luigi does.  I thanked him for his offer to make good on the pizza we threw out, but declined.  To be fair, I should go back and give him another try.  (My neighbor from New Jersey says that's her favorite pizza place in New Bern.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you leave me a comment, I feel all warm and fuzzy, like someone out there is really listening.

Bookmark and Share