Monday, March 7, 2011

BREAKFAST AT PORT CITY JAVA

Port City Java, a trendy coffee shop on Middle Street across from First Citizens Bank parking lot, is part of a national chain.  Open 7 days a week, their offerings include breakfast and lunch sandwiches, pastries, coffees, teas, cold drinks, smoothies and salads.
Place your order at the counter where you'll see the menu on a wall blackboard.
Pastries are arrayed in a glass case.
Service is friendly, but don't take too long because there probably will be a line forming behind you.  This place is popular.  People seem to filter in and out constantly.
Once you've placed you order, you can sit at one of the tables.  There were only a few available when we got there at about 9AM today.  Since most people object to being photographed by a stranger, I didn't snap a picture of the dining area.  It's cozy, but tables are understandably small.  This is a coffee shop, after all, not a full-fledged restaurant, so small tables are part of the territory.

Also typical of coffee houses is a "living room" area with comfortable upholstered furniture where someone can enjoy a cup of joe with a newspaper or laptop.  A gentleman was using his laptop in the "living room" area, so I carefully shot a photo of part of the area, leaving him out.
Since breakfast offerings are limited, Guy and I ordered the same: Sausage, egg and cheese sandwich on a toasted basil tomato bun and a cup of decaf.  The black coffees are given to you at the register in paper cups.  If you want milk, half and half, creamer or sugar, take your cup to the beverage counter.
When our sandwiches were ready, they were called out.  There are no numbers given, so you really have to pay attention.  No frills here, just a sandwich on a plate.
The toasted basil tomato buns were delicious, the sausage was fresh tasting, not greasy, nicely cooked, and the cheese was temptingly melted over the egg.  The coffees were typical of coffee shop java which is stronger than average.  Port City's decaf is not like Starbucks though, which is so strong I can't drink it.  I found my decaf enjoyable, but Guy could not finish his, stating it was just too strong.  The breakfast sandwiches were $3.30 each, and the coffees were $1.70 each.  

If I were young, or not carb conscious, I would love this place.  The casual atmosphere and good dollar value are definite draws.  But I'm old and watching my carbs like crazy.  Though the bun was delicious and I wanted to eat it, I discarded most of it, thanks to good willpower.   I like my breakfast served at a bigger table, on a plate with fork and knife.  And I like my coffee in a ceramic mug.  That being said, I have no doubt that Port City Java will be in business for a long time to come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you leave me a comment, I feel all warm and fuzzy, like someone out there is really listening.

Bookmark and Share